This photo distributed by China’s Xinhua news agency shows the damage of the house of Libyan leader Muammar Gadhafi after a NATO airstrike during a tour organized by the Libyan government in the area of Gargur in Tripoli, Libya, early Sunday, May 1, 2011. Moammar Gadhafi escaped the NATO missile strike in Tripoli on Saturday, but his youngest son and three grandchildren under the age of 12 were killed, a government spokesman said.
Libyans ignite explosives during celebrations in Benghazi May 1, 2011 following news that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son was killed in a NATO air strike. Muammar Gaddafi survived a NATO airstrike on Saturday night that killed his youngest son Saif al-Arab and three of his grandchildren, a Libyan government spokesman said.
A Libyan holds a photograph of a man killed during the recent Libyan conflict as they celebrate in Benghazi May 1, 2011 following news that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son was killed in a NATO air strike. Muammar Gaddafi survived a NATO air strike on Saturday night that killed his youngest son Saif al-Arab and three of his grandchildren, a Libyan government spokesman said.
A wounded Libyan rebel sits next to the body of a comrade killed by a mortar shell fired by Moamer Kadhafi’s forces in Al-Ghiran near Misrata airport on May 1, 2011 as a salvo of rockets hit the besieged city.
Gaddafi son, grandsons killed in strikes
Saif al-Arab Gaddafi, the youngest son of embattled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, and three of Gaddafi’s grandsons have been killed in a NATO airstrike.
“The house of Saif al-Arab Gaddafi was attacked tonight with full power. The leader with his wife was there in the house with other friends and relatives,” Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim told reporters at press conference in Tripoli early on Sunday morning, AFP reported.
“The attack resulted in the martyrdom of Saif al-Arab, 29 years old, and three of the leader’s grandchildren,” Ibrahim said.
“The leader himself is in good health; he wasn’t harmed. His wife is also in good health; she wasn’t harmed, (but) other people were injured,” he added.
“This was a direct operation to assassinate the leader of this country,” he stated.
In the attacks, three massive explosions ripped through Gaddafi’s headquarters in Tripoli on Saturday evening.
Volleys of anti-aircraft fire rang out following the first two strikes on Bab al-Aziziya. The aerial attacks were followed by a third from the same direction, AFP reported.
The strikes came after the Libyan government accused NATO of bombing a center for physically challenged children in Tripoli earlier on Saturday.
Meanwhile, 13 powerful explosions rocked the Libyan port city of Misratah late on Saturday as NATO warplanes struck targets in the opposition-held city.
Earlier in the day, Gaddafi said he would not step down, but he was ready for a ceasefire and negotiations, provided that NATO halted its airstrikes.
Rejecting his offer, NATO announced that it would only consider a ceasefire after Gaddafi forces stop attacking civilians.
The opposition has also dismissed Gaddafi’s ceasefire proposal, saying he has no part to play in the country’s future.
And despite Gaddafi’s calls for a ceasefire, regime forces later rained mortar shells and rockets on Misratah, killing at least 15 people, including a nine-year-old boy.
The regime is trying to block access to Misratah by sea and has threatened to target any ships that enter the port city.PressTV